‘Commitment is the enemy of Resistance, for it is the serious promise to press on, to get up, no matter how many times you are knocked down.’ David McNally
Overcoming Resistance is one of the most difficult aspects of creating legacy. It’s even harder than finding resources or persuading other people of the value of your legacy project. What makes it so heartbreaking is to know that Resistance is within you – that you are basically your biggest obstacle in completing your legacy project.
But there are ways to overcome Resistance. Here are 8 strategies that are helping me overcome Resistance:
1. Learn to identify Resistance. The first step in overcoming Resistance is to realise that it is there in the first place. We often refuse to admit to ourselves that the reason why we postpone undertaking a certain task time and time again is because we are resisting it. It is easier to find excuses for why we did not do something. This brings me nicely to the second point.
2. Be vigilant of excuses. They tend to be sneaky and come in the form of family trouble, power cuts, money problems etc. None of this should really matter. Acknowledge and move on.
3. Tackle Resistance first. Start the day by dealing with the thing you resist most. The day will get easier after that.
4. Approach every day as a battle with Resistance. It can be exhilarating to confront your inner demons and win. Also, on those days when you lose the battle, it helps to know that tomorrow is a new day.
5. Divide what you are resisting with into chunks. Start with the smallest possible bit. Our brain has the need to finish things – once you start you can trick your brain into continuing until you complete the task.
6. Turn your vices into rewards. Chocolate and TV work best for me. I reserve these for when I have overcome my resistance for the day. Until then – no treat.
7. Always finish for the day in mid-flow. Again, our brain needs to finish things. So by finishing mid-flow, your Resistance to starting the task the following day will be greatly diminished.
8. Make yourself accountable for overcoming Resistance day by day. Set up systems to make yourself accountable, and keep to them.
What about you? How do you overcome Resistance? What worked and what didn’t? I’d love to read about your ideas in the comments section.
Did you enjoy this blog post? If so, consider subscribing to receive new blog posts by email. Thanks for reading.