‘Blessings on him who invented sleep, the mantle that covers all human thoughts.’ Miguel de Cervantes
Creating legacy and sleep
It is amazing how much routine aspects of life play into our ability to create legacy. Take sleep, for instance. I know that when I’ve had a good night’s sleep, I’m able to be so much more productive working on my legacy projects than on days when for some reason I didn’t get enough sleep.
Indeed, a large number of studies show that sleep deprivation impairs memory, weakens the immune system, and slows metabolism. Not surprisingly, then, being able to sleep well will do wonders for your legacy efforts.
How to get a good night’s sleep
It turns out that there are lots of things you can do to make sure you get a good night’s sleep. The following is a list of 10 tips I’ve picked up from Gretchen Rubin’s The Happiness Project:
1. Near your bedtime, don’t do any work that requires alert thinking.
2. Keep your bedroom slightly chilly.
3. Do a few prebed stretches.
4. Keep the lights low around bedtime (e.g. if you go to the bathroom).
5. Make sure your room is very dark when the lights are out, and that you can’t see any lights from electrical items.
6. If despite taking steps 1-5 you still can’t fall asleep, breathe deeply and slowly. This will get your whole body to slow down and make it easier to fall asleep.
7. If 6. still doesn’t help, it’s probably because your mind is still processing stuff, perhaps worrying about something. Have a pad and paper near your bed, and if this happens to you write down whatever it is that is on your mind. This will help to tell your mind that the matters are being dealt with so it can stop worrying.
8. Make sure you’ve got enough blood flow coming to your extremities – especially your feet. Put wool socks on if you find your feet are too cold.
9. Get ready for bed well before bedtime.
10. If you find yourself waking up during the night, tell yourself you have to get up in two minutes. If you haven’t had your full sleep, this will usually help you fall back to sleep.
How do you make sure you get a good night’s sleep?
Did you enjoy this blog post? If so, consider subscribing to receive new blog posts by email. Thanks for reading.